Sunday, June 26, 2011

Gifts from students


One of the best parts about teaching was being the adviser of the Journalism Circle, the club which produces the school paper.  It was a break from the monotony of school routine. Even though it was extra work, I truly enjoyed the overnights with my former students during our workshops.  Every year was special because of each student, but the most enjoyable year for me was last school year. Unlike the previous years, I made an effort to organize our bonding editorial sessions in school.

serious kunwari with Layout Ed 10-11 Jerome
Even though the paper still wasn't perfect, the work was also more fulfilling because we all worked hard on it.

hot off the printer

Big smile from Managing Ed 10-11 Pau -natapos din ang paghihirap
The Journalism Circle kids hold a special place in my heart.  Even though I may be forgetful, I still remember the dedication of our sports writer Rikki Lee Mendiola, the hardwork of EIC 09-10 Guia del Valle (who was still working on the last issue of the year during her graduation),  the awesome book reviews by one of our best writers Anna Sangkal, the great layouts done by Sandra Cutay and Regina Resol, the frontpage articles of Daryl Yang and Gab Morong (the two of them could fill out a newsletter on their own), the awesome art of Maureen Bombay, the creativity of Glenn Briones,  the speed by which Jerome Tagaro learned how to layout with Adobe CS5, the commitment of Elisha Ching and Pau Milante to their work, and much much more things and much much more students.

Just this morning, I was cleaning my stuff from work and saw these.  They were gifts from my students. It amused me to see how much these kids know what would make me smile.

Caricature from Marmi Lico

I love the chibi me!

Poem from Rikki Lee <3

Scrapbook and letters from Journ 07-08, the necklace is from Camille Virtucio

I love this writing notebook from Assoc Ed 10-11 Maxine

cute doggy pen holder from EIC 10-11 Pau R.

a letter and a bunch of Ohno Satoshi and Arashi Jpop pix from Pau M.

I love this picture of Ohno Satoshi from Arashi too XD

I don't know if I ever properly thanked the Journ kids for their gifts and their commitment to the club. Being the adviser of the JC seems to be an event from long ago.  We're all doing our own stuff and most of the students are busy doing greater things in college. But I don't think I'll ever get tired of being thankful for my students.  They are God's gift to me. Years from now though, I know I'll be able to look back at this blog and remember how significant and "newsworthy" it was to be part of these kids' lives even if only for a short while :)






5 comments:

  1. aww... galing mo kasi mam lim! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rikki Lee MendiolaMay 10, 2012 at 11:31 AM

    Wow Maam Lim. I googled my name and this blog came out. Really, it's my dedication that stood out. Hahaha. And until now the fire never died. I'm still that dedicated. And thanks to you, I was able to get the position of managing editor at the LB Times. Check out our site, lbtimes.ph. Thanks for the inspiration Maam Lim. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oo naman Rikki! You were one of the most passionate and committed writers in the team! Di nga kita makalimutan. hehe. I'm really happy (and I'm not surprised) you pursued journalism. Galing-galing naman! Big big hugs! Inspire positive change through your writing! :)

      Delete
  3. Awww Ma'am Lim! I googled my name too and this came out. Thank you soo much, I can't believe you still remember my lay outs after years. :)) You are God's gift to me too especially during my days in journ! Thank you po! Huuggs!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Sandra! Hearing even just one of my students say that is a huge blessing. I miss you! Do send me a message on FB if you need anything or want to make kwento :D Hugs!

      Delete