Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Pleasing the Master


My two dogs and I were out playing catch in the garden one morning. I threw their tan ball (which actually looks like a football), and the two doggies ran wildly after it. ChiChi the shih tzu got to it first though. Poor Shobe the half-breed didn't know what to do while I patted and hugged Chichi. A few seconds later, Shobe also ran to my side. She too had something in her mouth -- it was a small brown mabolo fruit (velvet apple)! The little runt didn't want to disappoint me, so she had taken one of the fruits which had fallen from the Kamagong tree. Laughing at Shobe's cleverness, I hugged the little puppy while she wagged her tail in pleasure.



football vs. mabolo


Dogs are a delight to train and play with because they aim to please their master. This is why puppies would sometimes eat their own poop. They don't want their owners to know that they had an accident somewhere restricted.

After that incident, I couldn't help but think of how I had pleased my own Master that day. If I could be amused by a dog's cleverness, what more of God who desires nothing more than my undivided love?  But I often don't think about pleasing God in my everyday activities.

It was hard to obey and please God when I didn't even know who He was. I prayed hard to get to know Him intimately, not just intellectually. Last month, God answered my prayer. My eyes were opened and I was able to finally feel the fullness of His love for me.  When you know God, you would inevitably want to please God.  Sometimes, I still fail and flounder. But now I know I have a great God who loves me so much. I am still getting to know Him everyday. And everyday, I pray that I would be able to please Him in many ways.


It's impossible to please God apart from faith. And why? Because anyone who wants to approach God must believe both that he exists and that he cares enough to respond to those who seek him. ~ Hebrews 11:6