Sunday, June 12, 2011

Your Amnesia Girl


I often get teased because of my forgetfulness. Forgetfulness is a hassle because I can misplace the most important things - keys, wallet, cellphone. It got so bad that some of my former co-workers would hide my stuff just to teach me a lesson. What was worse though was when they started leaving things that were misplaced on my work desk. They thought it was but natural to assume that these misplaced things were mine. I found a drumset stand on my desk once...that was really weird because I DON'T play the drums. You might think that it's nice that I get to keep some cool stuff. It's not so cool though when you find some dirty men's long shorts on your table. No siree. That wasn't a pretty sight (and don't ask me how I managed to get it off my desk).

Being forgetful can also get embarrassing. I remember people's faces easily, so I'm being honest if I smile in recognition. But I'm really bad with names. You can imagine the agony when I have to introduce people.

Scenario: Abby Gaby with friend meets acquaintance on the road...
AG: Hi~! (rapidly searching brains for roster of names)
Acq: Gaby!!!
AG: Hi...errr...hi~! 'musta? (has to make a quick decision..introduce friend or not?)
AcQ: I'm okay! You?
AG: Ok din! (praying for an interruption)
After a few seconds of awkward silence (the decision DOES NOT come quick at all)....
AG: Ummm this is...(name of friend)
AcQ: Hi (name of friend)
AcQ continues smiling, waiting to be introduced
AG: Well...nice seeing you! See you around okay? Bye!!! (runs off quickly, dragging friend with her)

This is why I can understand it when people forget MY name. I can empathize with the moment, so don't you guys worry.

Forgetfulness is not really an admirable quality. It's something that God is still working on with me. Still, there are times when I can be grateful for my forgetfulness. When I tell you that I've forgotten a hurt, I can assure you that I've really forgotten it. We can sincerely be friends again. Or I can sincerely forget that we've been buddies in the past...the emotions have also been forgotten. Being forgetful helps me forgive; it helps me move on and celebrate what is ahead.

I can be thankful to an important Person for this forgetfulness that helps me let go of regrets and petty emotions. Many times though, I forget Him. I denied Him many times. I thought it insulted my intelligence to believe in Him. The Literature major that I am believed Him for a myth, etched in man's archetypal memory.

He continued to chase after me though. Until now, He draws me to Himself until everything but Him can just fade away into my forgetfulness.

This Man on the cross did not just forgive me. He took all my wrongdoings upon Himself. People might ask how I know that He is real. I know because I've walked with Him. I know because I've come to believe in His word. I know because I've experienced His faithfulness. I know because I can see the changed lives of those who believe. I know because I've tasted and felt how it is to be loved deeply by Him. He is the only One who will assuredly never forget forgetful me.

"So heaven meets earth like an unforeseen kiss
and my heart turns violently inside of my chest
I don't have time to maintain these regrets
when I think about the way
that He loves us..."

Can a woman forget her nursing child? Will she have no compassion on the child from her womb? Although mothers may forget, I will not forget you.~ Isaiah 49:15 (God's Word Translation)